First test print w/o success

tom4cad

First test print w/o success

Post by tom4cad » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:12 pm

Hello
I've just set the Z0 position, acc to official video. Remembered it by clicking "yes" on the screen. But when I came back to Z position option and put the Z home the platform is not positioning in the position I remembered. It is 2mm over the LCD. I think it is cause why my first print was w/o success. Is there aby idea how to repare it or maybe it is a normal behavior?

admin
Site Admin

Re: First test print w/o success

Post by admin » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:30 pm

How to level the photon print plate with the Flint Read method:

This Photon Forum is sponsored by www.StatusAvailable.pt

KDan

Re: First test print w/o success

Post by KDan » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:46 pm

Hi Flint,
You are moving the build platform up 0.3mm (300 microns) before setting the zero position. However I think that we'd all agree that a first layer height of 0.05mm (50 microns) or less is much better. A true 300 micron first layer may not stick to the build plate at all - especially with opaque resins which don't cure as deeply.
If this method is working for you, I suspect it is because you are going below 0 clearance when leveling the plate and you are flexing the frame of the machine. When you back off 300 microns, your actual Z clearance is probably much less than that. How much clearance you end up with will be dependent on how tight you made your bed leveling adjustment position (how much you flexed the frame).
I agree that it is probably necessary to put some pressure on the build plate when doing the bed leveling.
However, once that is set and the screw tightened, I believe it would be more accurate to back off a bit and use the use the AnyCubic paper shim approach to set the actual Z=0 position.
That's just my observation from a technical standpoint. Obviously, whatever works for you is all that matters. ;)