Hollowing prints

Flint

Hollowing prints

Post by Flint » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:31 pm

Ok time for a beginner tip Photonsters!

when you get the printer unboxed your gonna start printing, then you will have successful prints, then you're going to get carried away and want to try bigger better.

This is all well and good but look at the size of that Anycubic green they have sent you, not too big is it?

Now is the time to sit down and find out how to hollow and put drain holes in your bigger prints this will make your resin last a lot longer and you can order some more resin, and if it takes best part of a week to arrive you will still have enough of the Anycubic to see you through the wait and research and ask folks for resin suggestions and so on.

so here is a link to how to hollow with Meshmixer (a free program)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXu6VYj4Um0

hope this helps you get through the first resin excitement :D and as ever
happy printing.

W00k

Re: Hollowing prints

Post by W00k » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:36 pm

I discovered how important this is for more than just saving on resin. I started a print, and realized several hours later that I should have hollowed it due to resin use, and possibly needing to refill the resin before I would make it home. What I found when I got home was far worse.

The Weight of the print caused it to begin to peel away from the build plate. This caused an uneven bottom layer the pressed into the screen/FEP, and actually pushed the build plate crooked. I was very lucky to not suffer any screen damage, but still managed to waste a good volume of resin that could have been avoided by taking the time to hollow the model first.

Warnerrerce

Hollowing prints

Post by Warnerrerce » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:52 pm

I got several map prints as part of my surprise packages and I must admit that they look more amazing than in the screen. Congratulations once again